Ipswich: Enthusiasts rolling up to join new roller derby team
- Credit: Archant
HORDES of people have declared their interest in joining the town’s new roller derby team.
The team was formed by Ryan Finch and Amy Randall who took an interest in the sport after attending a similar club in Bury St Edmunds.
Mr Finch, 23, then took it upon himself to start a new team in the town and has since been overwhelmed by the amount of interest people have shown in joining up.
The former Hadleigh High School student said: “We were part of a team in Bury St Edmunds and we just fell in love with the sport and we wanted to do it in Ipswich so we got together and put some posters up.
“From that we couldn’t believe how many people contacted wanting to be part of it.
“We got a really overwhelming response from people wanting to take part and join the team. I think a lot of people saw it as something different and something which is lots of fun, and that is completely true.”
More than 50 people have contacted Mr Finch and Miss Randall and they now hope to extend the team even further and have encouraged more people to get involved in the fun-filled sport.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at park in Ipswich
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Driver blamed Amazon training for 13 speeding offences in Suffolk
- 4 Police launch appeal to identify man after incident in Ipswich
- 5 Animal sex charges against Kesgrave vet dropped, but child images admitted
- 6 Teenage moped driver arrested in Ipswich after failing drug test
- 7 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 8 Jail for Ipswich man who stole £2,000 worth of goods from Suffolk stores
- 9 Food review, La Cueva, Ipswich: 'Delicious food... and sparkly cocktails!'
- 10 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
The team held a fundraisers earlier in the year to help pay for insurance costs. They now hope to start training this month at Copleston Sports Centre.
Mr Finch added: “We have had a really good and positive response from people and now we are just keen to get going and start training.”
The team hopes to take part in competitions after a few months of training.
To find out more about the team or if you would like to join, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the team’s Facebook page by searching Ipswich Roller Derby.
Have you launched a new club in the town? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or send an e-mail to email@example.com