Ipswich: Fans still eager to find out if David Beckham is staying in Suffolk following Ipswich Town visit
- Credit: Archant
The social network storm created by the arrival of David Beckham in Ipswich is continuing as fans search for photographs of his visit to Suffolk.
The global sports star, 39, came to Ipswich Town’s Playford Road academy ground earlier where his sons, Romeo and Cruz, were playing for Arsenal in their under 11s and nines teams.
Word of the former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder’s appearance spread round the ground with onlookers taking photos and chatting to him.
When Luke Rutter, 27, from Spencer Road, Ipswich, found out he drove to the ground with his son Blake, two.
“We went to get a photo with him but he was already with kids having a picture with them,” he said. “He did not seemed bothered even though I felt a bit rude asking. He was very nice and calm about it all.
“I am a big fan of Beckham, always have been, I watched him in games for Manchester United and England and saw DVDs of him when he was a younger player. I was absolutely honoured to meet him – I never thought I would have the chance.”
Some on social networks debated the merits of Ipswich swooping to sign the ex-England captain – with even the club’s own Luke Hyam disappointed at not meeting him.
But after the games Beckham did not hang around for long and headed to the Mexican restaurant Chiquitos, near Ransomes Industrial Estate.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 4 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 5 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 6 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 7 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 8 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Two people reported rough sleeping every day in Ipswich last month
Ashley Eales happened to be in eatery when he asked for his photograph with Beckham, dressed in skinny black jeans, cream cardigan, cap and Adidas trainers.
It was not only fans who lit up Facebook and Twitter with their reaction to the visit.
Department store, Coes of Ipswich, tweeted: “Can’t believe David Beckham’s in town. We told him we’re closed on Sundays & Mondays. Perhaps we’ll see him on Tuesday instead!?”
The New Wolsey Theatre commented on Twitter that he should stay in town for their show. They said: “Anyone else think David Beckham should stick around #Ipswich tonight? Pretty sure @OperaDellaLuna could do with an extra Gondolier ;)”