Ipswich father-of-five who suffered stroke at just 33 was given 48 hours - but defied the odds
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
An Ipswich man who was given just two days to live after suffering a stroke at the age of 33 has spoken of his joy at being able to watch his young family grow up.
Robbie Cannell, now 36, woke up on January 21, 2013, unable to move the left side of his body and was rushed to hospital.
His wife, Toni, said: “They said he’s had a stroke and he’s got 48 hours to live and all they could do was make him comfortable. It was devastating.”
But Mr Cannell defied the odds against him. After spending three months in the Shotley stroke ward at Ipswich Hospital he was moved to a rehabilitation unit in Norwich.
The couple have five children – Bradley, 13; Jordan, 11; Jack, eight; Jade, five and Mya, two. Mrs Cannell found out that she was pregnant with Mya while Robbie was in hospital after his stroke.
Mr Cannell, who previously worked as a taxi driver in Ipswich, said that the cause of his stroke remains unknown. He had been in good health, didn’t drink or smoke, regularly played golf and managed the Ransomes youth football team of which one of his sons was a member.
After six months, Robbie returned to the family home in Clapgate Lane, which had been modified to incorporate a stairlift and bath hoist as well as a ramp to the front door with him requiring the use of a wheelchair.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
- 6 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 7 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 8 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 9 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 10 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
“It was a lot to take on,” said Mrs Cannell. “I was the full time carer for Robbie, having a baby and with four children.
“I honestly don’t know how I coped. I just took it day by day.”
Mr Cannell visits the Icanho brain injury unit three times a week, where he continues to make good progress, and is having oxygen therapy to further help his rehabilitation.
Speaking to his wife on Saturday, he said: “Thank you for everything.”
On Friday, the couple, who have been together for 13 years and married in 2008, presented a cheque for £1,000 to Shotley ward, raised through a medium night.
“This is to say thanks for everything the staff have done for me,” said Mr Connell. “When I first came in to hospital the doctors told me I had two days to live so they did really well for me.”
They have previously donated £2,675 to the hospital to buy two specialist wheelchairs for stroke survivors. Robbie was the first patient to use one. It was this chair that enabled him to go to Toni’s 12-week scan of baby Mya.
“This was my way of giving back,” said Mrs Connell. “They were like my family. I lived with them for five weeks. They worked brilliantly with Robbie. I can’t thank the Shotley Stroke Ward enough.”