Ipswich/Felixstowe: 17-year-old bailed on suspicion of raping elderly woman in Walton appears in court accused of burglary and stabbing a man

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court

South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court - Credit: Archant

A teenager bailed on suspicion of raping an elderly woman in Felixstowe has appeared in court charged with burglary and stabbing a man.

The 17-year-old, who can not be named due to his age, appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Ipswich yesterday.

He was arrested on Sunday afternoon on suspicion of raping a woman in her flat in Walton early the same morning.

After questioning the teenager was released on bail until November 24 when he must return to the police investigation centre in Martlesham.

Last night police said they had also arrested a 38-year-old man at his home in Felixstowe on suspicion of rape and burglary in relation to the incident in Walton.

Yesterday the 17-year-old suspect appeared in court on unconnected charges.

Dressed in a black t-shirt and dark jogging bottoms the youth spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth.

Most Read

During the hearing which lasted around 10 minutes the court was told he was accused of burglary with intent to steal and wounding with intent.

Prosecutor Colette Harper said the burglary took place on August 17 at the home of an 88-year-old woman.

The three magistrates were told the wounding allegation related to August 31 when a man was said to have been stabbed four times, twice in the leg and twice in the body.

The court heard the 17-year-old, who had previously lived in Ipswich but is said to be of no fixed address, was currently on bail on suspicion of the rape in Walton on Sunday.

No pleas to the burglary or wounding charges were entered during the proceedings.

Sue Threadkell, representing the teenager, said she was not in a position to make a bail application as no arrangements had been put in place in preparation for her to do so.

At the conclusion of the hearing the chairman of the bench told the teenager: “We have heard what has been said. These are very serious offences. We are going to remand you in custody.”

The youth’s next appearance was scheduled for today before Bury St Edmunds youth court where he is due to appear via a video link.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter