Ipswich Film Theatre looks to reopen in June
- Credit: Googlemaps
Ipswich Film Theatre is preparing to re-open its doors to film fans having spent lockdown carrying out improvement work.
Work has been done to the air-handling system in its main auditorium as well as investing time on developing new programming which will be rolled out later this summer.
Cinema manager Dan Champion said that although the doors have been shut a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes.
He said: “When we are finally allowed to re-open – which we hope will be in early June – we want to be in a position to offer lots of choice to our audiences who will have been starved of big screen entertainment for more than a year.
“We are looking at introducing themed seasons, special Friday night music documentaries or music related films, documentary seasons, late night screenings, more classics up on the big screen, Saturday double bills as well as the very best in British, world and independent cinema.”
You may also want to watch:
He said he would also like to screen as many of the award-winning films from the Oscar and BAFTA ceremonies because although many films will have been available on streaming networks not everyone has access to the numerous streaming sites but there is also something special about seeing these films with an audience on the big screen.
Mr Champion said: “I saw the new Paul Greengrass western News of the World on television recently and the first thing that popped into my head was ‘This would look fantastic on a proper cinema screen.’ So that’s what we would love to do.”
- 1 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 2 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 3 Plans for new central Ipswich Travelodge now available to view online
- 4 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 5 Lounge bar with bespoke cocktails and tapas to open at Ipswich waterfront
- 6 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 7 Ipswich music producer's 'amazing' rise as global DJ's assistant
- 8 Breakdown on Orwell Bridge cleared after queues to Copdock roundabout
- 9 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 10 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
He said that although dates were not set in stone, they are looking to reopen in June on Thursday through to Sunday with the weekly programme changing on a Friday once everything had settled down.
He added: “We are also looking to revamp our membership scheme and will be looking to add a number of substantial benefits to the scheme to encourage a sense of belonging and sense of communal ownership of this fantastic cinema and Ipswich institution.”
The Ipswich Film Theatre is also continuing with IFT at Home, linking up independent films on selected streaming sites where the IFT gets a portion of the ticket money.