Ipswich: Former dock worker remanded in custody over alleged stabbing at Witney Close, Ravenswood

A 20-year-old is remanded in custody today after being charged with a knife attack at an Ipswich flat during which a man was stabbed in the neck .

Ian Starkie, of Cranwell Crescent, Ipswich, is accused of wounding William Felton, of Saxmundham, outside a flat in Witney Close on Ravenswood in the early hours of Friday, April 6.

Mr Felton, who is believed to be in his early 30s, is said to have subsequently suffered a stroke which has made it difficult for him to speak, and his memory is also said to have been impaired.

Starkie, a former worker at Felixstowe Docks, was charged with wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm after answering his police bail yesterday morning. He appeared before Ipswich magistrates in the afternoon.

During the hearing Starkie, who was dressed in a dark blue v-necked t-shirt and dark blue jeans, heard prosecutor Andrea Reynolds outline various aspects of the case to the court.

However, these are unable to be made public at this stage.

Jeremy Kendall, representing Starkie – a former pupil of Holywells High School and a father-of-one – applied for his client to be released on bail until the next hearing of his case.

Most Read

As part of his application Mr Kendall told magistrates: “There are serious questions about the credibility of the Crown’s decision-making already.”

However, after adjourning to consider the application the two magistrates returned to deny Starkie’s bail application.

His case was committed to Ipswich Crown Court where a preliminary hearing is due to take place on July 5.

In the meantime Starkie must remain in custody.

He was told his trial window would provisionally be set for some time between November 12 and December 28.

Starkie, who was supported in court by his family, did not enter a plea during yesterday’s proceedings.

Four other people, who were originally arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following the incident in which Mr Felton was injured, also answered their police bail yesterday morning.

The three women and one man – all from Ipswich – had their bail cancelled. A police spokesman said no further action will be taken against them.