Ipswich: Former NBA star John Amaechi praises Ipswich basketball Club during visit
- Credit: Su Anderson
Former NBA star John Amaechi praised the work being done at Ipswich Basketball Club during a visit to the town this weekend.
The former Orlando Magic centre took part in a coaching clinic, worked with young players at the club and watched the team’s match against Loughborough on Saturday, before a question and answer session in the evening.
Speaking to The Star, 6ft 10ins Amaechi said: “They are already doing good things and I think one of the most magnanimous things which is to say we can always learn more, which is why I came down today.
“It has been excellent. The kids have really focused on what is for them some new things and they’ve shown willing and put in great effort and that’s all you can ask.”
Ipswich Basketball Club’s chairman, Kathryn James, added: “To have someone of his stature coming to Ipswich, we were thrilled.”
Amaechi was born in Boston, Massachusetts, but grew up in Stockport. He then moved to the USA to play high school and college basketball.
In addition to playing stints in Europe, the 43-year-old, who is also a psychologist, also played for the Utah Jazz between 2001 and 2003.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 7 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 8 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 9 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 10 House of Tweed leaves Ipswich after Christmas season
After retiring from the sport, Amaechi became the first ex NBA star to come out publicly.