Ipswich: Glowing tributes are paid to former teacher
IPSWICH: Tributes have been paid to a former teacher at Copleston High School in Ipswich who has died.
Norman Hazell retired as a senior teacher at the school in July 1984. He died, aged 87, on February 23 at his home in Penrith, Cumbria.
He and his wife Margaret moved from their home in Kesgrave nine years ago to be closer to their son Mark and daughter Jane.
Mrs Hazell died in August 2005. David East, deputy headteacher at Copleston, said: “Norman will have taught literally thousands of young men and women in his long and distinguished career at the school.
“He will be remembered by many as an outstanding teacher of mathematics who mastered the art of maintaining the respect and discipline of his classes.
You may also want to watch:
“He was loved and respected by all of his students and colleagues alike over the period of his whole career at Copleston and was, until the day that he died, one of life’s true gentlemen. “He treated everyone with absolute respect, from the headteacher down to his youngest pupil.”
Mr Hazell’s funeral will be held at Carlisle Crematorium on March 9.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 7 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 8 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 9 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 10 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths
If you want to contact Mr Hazell’s family, letters/cards can be addressed to Mark Hazell, c/o Copleston High School, Copleston Road, Ipswich, IP4 5HD and staff at the school will forward them on.
n To pay tribute to Mr Hazell, write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.