Ipswich: Glowing tributes are paid to former teacher
IPSWICH: Tributes have been paid to a former teacher at Copleston High School in Ipswich who has died.
Norman Hazell retired as a senior teacher at the school in July 1984. He died, aged 87, on February 23 at his home in Penrith, Cumbria.
He and his wife Margaret moved from their home in Kesgrave nine years ago to be closer to their son Mark and daughter Jane.
Mrs Hazell died in August 2005. David East, deputy headteacher at Copleston, said: “Norman will have taught literally thousands of young men and women in his long and distinguished career at the school.
“He will be remembered by many as an outstanding teacher of mathematics who mastered the art of maintaining the respect and discipline of his classes.
“He was loved and respected by all of his students and colleagues alike over the period of his whole career at Copleston and was, until the day that he died, one of life’s true gentlemen. “He treated everyone with absolute respect, from the headteacher down to his youngest pupil.”
Mr Hazell’s funeral will be held at Carlisle Crematorium on March 9.
- 1 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 2 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 3 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 4 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 5 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 6 Girl, 15, followed by man while walking dog in village near Ipswich
- 7 Warehousing units take shape at Ipswich as demand rockets
- 8 Tributes to Ipswich's 'Mr Buses'
- 9 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 10 BT applies to install eight Street Hubs in Ipswich
If you want to contact Mr Hazell’s family, letters/cards can be addressed to Mark Hazell, c/o Copleston High School, Copleston Road, Ipswich, IP4 5HD and staff at the school will forward them on.
n To pay tribute to Mr Hazell, write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.