Ipswich/Hollesley: Mother of missing Luke Durbin tells of anguish
A MOTHER whose teenage son went missing five years ago today told how each anniversary of his disappearance is more painful than the last.
Nicki Durbin is still desperate to find out what happened to her son, 19-year-old Luke, who vanished after a night out in Ipswich in 2006.
Speaking ahead of the fifth anniversary of his disappearance on Thursday, Ms Durbin, of Hollesley, near Woodbridge, said: “I still don’t know any more than when he first went missing.”
Luke, who would now be 24, was last seen at about 4am on May 12, 2006, when he was spotted on CCTV in Dogs Head Street in Ipswich, heading towards the bus station.
He had been on a night out at what was then Zest nightclub and had left his personal belongings – including his wages and his mobile phone – at a friend’s house.
You may also want to watch:
“This is always a difficult time of year because of the anniversary and it’s what happens when you have a missing child,” said Ms Durbin.
“It’s five years now and it feels worse than it did when it was four years because the reality is I probably won’t see Luke again.”
- 1 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 3 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 4 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 5 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 6 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 7 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 10 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
Ms Durbin had been critical of the police inquiry, saying it should have been turned into a murder inquiry, but is now satisfied the force is making every effort to find out what happened to her son.
The Major Investigation Team was put on the case at the end of last year and Ms Durbin said: “The case has been reviewed and from what I am aware, they have worked very diligently on it.”
A force spokeswoman said: “Suffolk Police remain committed to investigating the disappearance of Luke Durbin.
“The enquiry remains open and police will always act on any new information.
“Suffolk Police routinely reviews major investigations and, as part of this process, the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) are currently conducting a review of the enquiry, to see if anything further can be done to try and trace Luke.
“Despite extensive enquiries, media appeals and initiatives from his family, we still do not know what happened to Luke after he was last seen in Ipswich in the early hours of Friday, May 12, 2006.
“Anyone who may have any information that can help should call the Joint MIT on 01473 613500.”
n Do you have memories of Luke? Write to Your Letters, The Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org