Ipswich Hospital’s mortuary made more welcoming for bereaved families with £100k upgrade
- Credit: Ipswich Hospital
Bereaved relatives will be able to say farewell to loved ones in a “calm, reflective ” space – thanks to a £100,000 upgrade at Ipswich Hospital’s mortuary.
The new-look family area, visitors’ room and garden, funded by The Ipswich Hospital Charity, is said to have created a brighter and more welcoming space, while alterations have been made for better disabled access.
New artwork has been added, the staff room refurbished and the Somersham Support Group paid for new seating.
Ipswich mayor Sarah Barber, who is also a nurse, opened the area, which has been renamed the “Rosemary Suite”, during Dying Matters Awareness Week.
Mortuary manager Shane Mongor said: “We are really pleased with this upgrade, which provides relatives with a more welcoming environment in which to spend those last precious moments saying goodbye to their loved ones.
“The family room has been transformed into a reflective and relaxing space, while the visitors’ room has been made more homely and fitted with special lighting. The outside area has also been completely transformed, with new planting and a patio added.
“We are very grateful to everyone who has donated to The Ipswich Hospital Charity and made this important upgrade possible. It will make a real difference to people at what can inevitably be a very difficult time.”
Visit The Ipswich Hospital Charity’s website for more information,
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 5 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 6 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 7 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 8 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 9 Three-home development for former Thornbank care home
- 10 5 places to spot celebrities in Suffolk