Ipswich: ITFC stabbing claim by Hollesley prisoner
IPSWICH: Police and paramedics were called after a Hollesley Bay prisoner alleged another inmate had stabbed him while they were on work placement at Ipswich Town Football Club.
The injured 26-year-old suffered what was described to the emergency services as a “slice to his ear”. However, the man retracted his initial report when he told officers and medical staff that he had sustained the cut after falling down a flight of stairs before colliding with a metal cabinet.
Following treatment at the club, the man was taken to Ipswich Hospital.
Both prisoners have now been recalled to Hollesley Bay and are no longer working at Portman Road.
The ambulance service confirmed paramedics were called to the club’s entrance in Constantine Road at just after 1.30pm on March 9 following reports of an assault.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary added no arrests were made as the injured man told officers it was an accident, after originally stating he had been assaulted.
It is the second incident involving prisoners from the open jail working at the club in four months. Three prisoners on work placement at the club were arrested in November after a female security guard was allegedly robbed of a cash box at McDonalds in Ranelagh Road in November.
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 5 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 7 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 8 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 9 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 10 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
The 36-year-old from Woodbridge, 58-year-old from Ipswich and 44-year-old from London are currently on police bail.
n What do you think about community rehabilitation for prisoners? E-mail Starletters@archant.co.uk or write to Star Letters, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.