WATCH: Can you donate food to these newborn kittens?
PUBLISHED: 05:30 28 April 2019 | UPDATED: 08:54 28 April 2019
An Ipswich charity is asking for help with food donations after five stray cats gave birth to 23 kittens in their care – doubling the numbers they look after and stretching them to their limits.
Ipswich Cats Protection is run entirely by volunteers who need your help to be able to provide for the new arrivals.
The charity has recently seen the numbers of kittens in their care double to 33 in total and they are struggling to finance the newborns.
The kittens will need at least 60 pouches of kitten food every day, but the charity is unable to provide this without donations.
Pat Kettle is the head fosterer at the charity and has been looking after cats and kittens for more than 27 years.
She said: “Kitten season has started a little early this year as people don't seem to be neutering their cats.”
Pat is looking after 25 of the 33 kittens and some are less than a week old.
They are in desperate need of kitten food, kitten milk, toys, bags of very fine clumping cat litter and old duvets to make beds.
The charity is also asking for any donations which will be put towards getting the kittens vaccinated and neutered – with Pat also hoping for donations to have some new pens built in her home.
The volunteers also have two cats in their care which are waiting to give birth – so the numbers are set to keep on rising and the demand will be even greater.
Mrs Kettle added: “Looking after kittens is very rewarding but it can be extremely tiring, especially at litter training time.”
In a post on their Instagram page, Ipswich Cats Protection said that they were stretched to their limits and were in need of help, as they normally only have 20 cats in their care at any one time.
There are a number of donation bins across Ipswich and its surrounding areas which are listed below.
• Cats Protection Charity Shop, 20 Queen St, IP1 1SS
• Jollyes Petfood Superstore, 9A Commercial Road, IP1 1UZ
• Riversbrook Veterinary Group, 93 Cliff Lane, IP3 0PQ
• The Tan Box, 33 Foxhall Rd, IP3 8JU
• Barnard Brothers, 556 Woodbridge Rd, IP4 4PH
• Tesco Metro, Ropes Drive, Kesgrave, IP5 2FU
• Pets at Home, Beardmore Park, Martlesham, IP5 3RU
• Gladwells Pet & Country Store, Copdock Mill, Old London Road, IP8 3LA
• Whitworth Veterinary Practice, Station Rd, Trimley St Mary, IP11 0UB
• Conkers, Felixstowe, 110-112 Hamilton Rd, Felixstowe, IP11 7AB
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.