Search

Ipswich: Man, 36, facing five child sex assault charges including two charges of rape

PUBLISHED: 09:46 09 May 2014 | UPDATED: 09:46 09 May 2014

Ipswich Crown Court

Ipswich Crown Court

Archant

A Felixstowe man is facing five child sex assault charges including two allegations of rape.

Spencer Cook, of Larkhill Way, is due to appear before Ipswich Crown Court later this year.

The 36-year-old is also facing a further child pornography allegation.

Cook is facing two charges of rape of a girl under the age of 13. He is also accused of assault of a girl under the age of 13 by penetration.

In addition, unemployed Cook is alleged to have incited a girl under the age of 13 to engage in sexual activity on two occasions.

The child pornography allegation related to one count of taking an indecent photo of a child.

The accusations are said to relate to a period on or before January 7.

Cook was arrested when police went to his home in January on a separate matter.

After being interviewed he was released on bail pending further enquiries. However, he was re-arrested on April 16 prior to his bail expiring for the original
matter.

Cook was then charged the following day with the six offences he currently is currently facing.

His first appearance on the allegation was made before South East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Ipswich on April 19.

The case was committed to Ipswich Crown Court due to the seriousness of the charges.

Cook was remanded in custody until his next hearing.

He appeared before Judge David Goodin at the crown court last week for a preliminary hearing.

The case was adjourned until a plea and case management hearing on July 25.

Cook is currently remanded in custody until then.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

An Ipswich-based law firm said it is unlikely the coronavirus stamp duty holiday will be backdated to March, despite a growing campaign. Last week chancellor Rishi Sunak announced that property buyers would pay no stamp duty on homes worth less than £500,000. According to Birketts law firm, this means someone buying a house for £341,091 – the average price of a house in East Anglia – would save £7,054. Now, a national law firm, Simpson Millar, has called on the government to backdate this tax cut to the beginning of lockdown on March 31. Sarah Ryan, head of private client and conveyancing at the firm, said: “We of course welcome the plans announced to freeze the stamp duty costs on any property up to the value of £500,000 which will not only encourage potential buyers to move on and up the proverbial ladder, but will also help to retain jobs in the real estate sector. “However, there is no denying that for some, in particular those individuals, couples and families who have managed to complete on the purchase of their home either during lockdown, or in the immediate aftermath, this will come as a bitter blow.” A petition calling for the government to backdate the holiday even further has gained nearly 10,000 signatures. If the petition reaches 10,000 signatures the government has to respond and if the petition reaches 100,000 then a debate in parliament must be held. But Karl Pocock, partner and head of tax at Birketts, does not think the government is likely to make this move. He said: “Although there are calls for Rishi Sunak to backdate the reduced stamp duty rates to the start of lockdown, the Chancellor’s goal seems to be to galvanise the housing market now. As such, much as a backdated rate cut would be very welcome news for anyone that had completed on a property purchase prior to the change in stamp duty rates, it is, in our view, unlikely. “The various residential property teams at Birketts have seen a surge in transactions as lockdown restrictions were lifted. Much of this activity was existing transactions restarting. However, we expect that the reduction in stamp duty rates will provide a further, sustained, boost to this part of the economy in the short term.”