Search

Ipswich man, 76, faces child sex charges dating back to 1957

PUBLISHED: 12:08 10 November 2016 | UPDATED: 12:08 10 November 2016

Ipswich Magistrates Court on Elm Street.

Ipswich Magistrates Court on Elm Street.

A 76-year-old man from Ipswich accused of child sex offences stretching back to the 1950s is scheduled to appear before magistrates next week.

The case is believed to involve one of the longest gaps in this country’s history between the time an alleged offence is said to have taken place and a defendant’s appearance before a court to face charges.

Paul Andrews, of Hawthorn Drive, is to face 10 charges relating to two girls.

The earliest allegation dates back to the beginning of 1957 when Andrews was aged 16.

He is accused of three indecent assaults on a girl under the age 14.

The charges relating to the second girl include five rapes and two indecent assaults.

These alleged offences are said to have happened in the 1970s.

It is understood Andrews was arrested by Suffolk police earlier this month on the allegations.

He was summonsed to court so the charges could be formally laid against him.

Andrews was due to make his first appearance on the allegations at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court in Ipswich.

He was due to follow proceedings via a video link from a different location.

However, the hearing was unable to take place as Andrews, who is a wheelchair user, was not able to be brought to the room set aside for him to attend proceedings due to a lack of access for his wheelchair.

As a consequence the matter had to be adjourned and the court date rescheduled.

Andrews is now due to appear before Norwich Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

He is currently remanded in custody.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists