Ipswich: Man charged with neglect or abandonment of child following house fire
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich man has been charged with abandoning or neglecting a child following a house fire in the town.
According to the fire service, one child was in the property when the blaze broke out, but was removed by neighbours before the blaze was brought under control at about 6.30pm.
Speaking yesterday, a spokeswoman for Suffolk police confirmed a man was arrested on suspicion of ‘ill treatment, neglect or abandonment of a child causing injury or suffering’.
He has since been charged with the offence. His relationship to the child is not known.
The spokeswoman added that ‘an investigation into the incident is continuing.”
The ambulance service has confirmed that personnel were at the scene but said nobody had to be taken to hospital.
Fire crews from Ipswich East and Princes Street were also sent to the incident and they used one hose reel to extinguish the blaze.
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 5 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 6 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 7 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 8 Three-home development for former Thornbank care home
- 9 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 10 New 'grab and go' vegan café on Ipswich Waterfront set to open in spring
Speaking last night, a spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was not thought to be suspicious.
The man is scheduled to appear in court on September 3.
The incident came just hours after an Ipswich family had a lucky escape in Oxford Road when a fire tore through an upstairs bedroom.
Nobody in the property was injured but they spoke of their relief as youngsters are normally playing in that room, but had chosen that day to play downstairs.
The fire service spokesman added that this fire is not being treated as suspicious.