Ipswich man dies in hit and run crash

POLICE today named the 28-year-old killed by a hit and run driver in the first hours of 2003.Wayne Goode from Broomhill Road, Ipswich was hit by a car as he walked along the A134 near Sudbury.

POLICE today named the 28-year-old killed by a hit and run driver in the first hours of 2003.

Wayne Goode from Broomhill Road, Ipswich was hit by a car as he walked along the A134 near Sudbury.

They are still searching for a hit and run driver of a 1988 Ford which was last seen speeding away from the accident just outside Sudbury.

Debris left at the scene of the crash led police to believe that this was the vehicle involved in the accident.

Mr Goode had been celebrating the New Year with his girlfriend at The Saracens Head in Newton Green near Sudbury and was walking along the road near to the Wyevale Garden Centre, when he was hit by a passing car which did not stop.

His body was discovered when a passing motorist was forced to stop his car suddenly because of a male body lying in the middle of the road.

Most Read

Investigating officer Pc Barry Humm has appealed for the driver of the car to come forward.

He said: "I understand that he or she may be very worried or frightened by what has happened however it is far better that that person get in touch with us now.

"Anybody who suspects that they know who the driver was in this incident should contact us urgently, whether they be family, friends or neighbours of someone who has recently damaged their 1988 Ford car."

Appeals are also being made to garages and parts suppliers to contact the police if they have requests for parts which could be used to repair damage to this type of car."

In a separate incident a man is believed to be fighting for his life today after his car crashed on a flooded Suffolk road.

It was one of a number of serious accidents on the county's roads yesterday which gave police a busy start to 2003.

The 45-year-old was airlifted to hospital following the smash on the B1078 near Debach at around 6.00pm yesterday.

Two children, thought to be related to the driver, were also taken to hospital after the black Fiat Punto they were travelling in, hit a tree and came to rest in a ditch near to French's Folly Farm.

The 11-year-old girl passenger was thought to have been released from Ipswich Hospital and a six-year-old boy was being kept under observation, although his injuries are not believed to be serious.

Two ambulances, fire crews from Ipswich and Woodbridge and Suffolk police were all called to the scene which left the road closed for around three hours.

RAF Wattisham's search and rescue helicopter was called out to airlift the driver to hospital. It was thought he was suffering from spinal and leg injuries.

The driver had to be cut free from the vehicle while the helicopter team stood by ready to take him to the Heath Road hospital.

Later in the evening a driver had to be cut free from a car which smashed into the reception of the Evening Star offices in Lower Brook Street, Ipswich.

The drama unfolded just before 10pm, when the white Audi skidded off the road and ploughed through the glass frontage of the building.

Three fire crews, two from Princes Street station and one from fire service headquarters in Colchester Road, and paramedics took around three-quarters of an hour to help free the trapped driver, who was the only person in the vehicle.

He was then taken to Ipswich Hospital with suspected neck and back injuries.

Despite the damage to the reception area, a clear-up operation was quickly under way last night and the Star offices were open as usual today .