Ipswich: Man held in OAP gun raid probe
IPSWICH: Police hunting three armed robbers, who forced their way into a pensioner’s Chantry home before stealing around �1,000, have arrested a man.
The OAP, who is in his 70s, told police he was threatened with a gun and wooden sticks after the raiders barged their way into his house in Allenby Road.
After overpowering him, the robbers ransacked the house before leaving the pensioner tied up as they fled.
A spokeswoman for Ipswich police said officers have arrested a 26-year-old man on suspicion of aggravated burglary.
The man, who is from Ipswich, was taken into custody after police went to an address in Ipswich around 10.40am last Wednesday.
The suspect has now been released on police bail until May 5, pending further inquiries.
One of the robbers wore a clown mask during the raid, while the two others had part of their faces covered. The victim sustained a cut to his head and bruising during the incident, which occurred around 6.30pm on Friday, February 4.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 3 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 6 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 7 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 8 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 9 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 10 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
It is understood around �600 in cash was taken, along with the man’s bank cards.
A further �400 is said to have been taken when the robbers went to a cashpoint and used the cards.
The first man is described as white, about 6ft 7in tall, of large build, with dark hair and was wearing a dark coloured hooded top, dark coloured shoes, gloves and a white scarf over the lower part of his face.
The second man is described as white, about 6ft tall, of medium build, with mousy-coloured medium length hair. He was wearing a grey woollen round-necked jumper, blue jeans, gloves and a black scarf covering part of his face.
The third man was white, about 5ft 7in, of slim build and was wearing jeans, a jumper and a clown mask.
Anyone with information about the incident should telephone 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.