Ipswich: Man rescued from house after blaze engulfs kitchen
A family is today counting the cost of a blaze which tore through their kitchen and left a man suffering from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters were called to the incident in Gordon Road, Ipswich, at 11.35am yesterday.
When they arrived at the scene they discovered that a man was trapped inside.
Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters entered the home and led him to safety.
Jim Golder, the fire service’s watch manager, said: “One person had already managed to vacate the property. However a young man – who works shifts and was asleep at the time – was still inside.
You may also want to watch:
“Our crews rescued him and tackled the fire, however the kitchen was severely damaged and there was substantial smoke damage.”
Paramedics treated him for smoke inhalation at the scene.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 3 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 6 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 7 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
- 8 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 9 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
The man’s mum told the Star that she was pleased that her son, who had been woken by a fire alarm, had not been injured.
Councillor Colin Spence, the county Council’s portfolio holder for public protection, said: “This incident shows just how important it is to have properly fitted and maintained smoke alarms in every home in Suffolk.”