Ipswich man who filmed court proceedings and assaulted security officers is jailed

South East Suffolk Magistrates Court where security officers were assaulted

South East Suffolk Magistrates Court where security officers were assaulted - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

A 29-year-old man who assaulted to security guards after admitting filming proceedings at an Ipswich court has been jailed.

Joe Drew

Joe Drew - Credit: Archant

Joe Drew, formerly of Cardiff Avenue, but now of Curriers Lane, was sentenced at Norwich Magistrates Court after previously pleading guilty to two charges of assault when he appeared before Bury St Edmunds magistrates in July.

The incident occurred at the magistrates court in Ipswich on May 28. One of the two officers assaulted has still to return to work after sustaining an injury to her left hand.

At Drew’s sentencing magistrates revoked a community order Drew was already under for a previous offence and replaced it with two consecutive jail terms for each assault totalling 16 weeks.

Drew had been previously been given a community order which due to expire in March 2016 after being convicted of drink-driving in 2014.

Drew’s latest offences came when he was in court for a case and the legal advisor became concerned about his behaviour as the hearing was progressing.

It was alleged he was acting in a hostile manner towards people in court by talking over them.

Most Read

Drew then took issue with the legal advisor who had told him to keep quiet.

The court usher called for security. While a security officer was on his way to the court Drew was said to have enquired why they were needed as he had been recording all the proceedings.

He then held out his Smartphone.

A male member of the court’s security staff arrived and was asked to take the phone off Drew. However, it became clear he was not going to hand over the device.

Drew was said to pushed his way out of the court as he headed towards an airlock between the courtroom door and the door leading to the waiting area.

Other security staff were called to assist and two more officers went to the area.

A struggle ensued but Drew managed to get out and left the building.

In addition to the female security guard’s injuries, a male officer sustained a pulled right shoulder and two cuts to his left wrist.

Police subsequently arrested Drew at his home.