Ipswich: More details emerge of daring daylight robbery at Copdock Tesco
Two robbers were lying in wait to snatch a five-figure sum from a security guard at Tesco in Copdock Mill, when she brought out her second cash box of the day, it can be revealed today.
Detectives are still hunting the pair who grabbed the money and ran off during the daring daylight snatch, which occurred at 9.15am on Saturday.
Police said that the female security guard noticed the pair near the bus stop at the store when she went in to make the first part of her collection.
On her way back to the van for the second time with the cash transit box, the robbers approached her from behind. One of them grabbed the arm of the guard’s hand which was holding the container. After a short tussle, he wrestled it away from her grasp.
The robbers then ran off in the direction of the Park and Ride, and a pathway towards Old London Road. They are likely to have made their getaway in a vehicle.
You may also want to watch:
The robbery happened while the woman’s colleague was in the security van.
Police said the security guard had seen the two men near to the bus stop at the store before making her collection.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 5 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 9 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 10 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
Closed circuit television images could play a vital part in catching the two men and witnesses are still being sought.
One of the robbers is described as of mixed-race appearance, in his early 20s, and around 5ft 7ins to 5ft 8ins tall. He had a rugged complexion and was unshaven with dark eyes, he wore medium-sized clothing which was a black/dark top with a hood, and dark blue jeans. The second man was also around the same height and wore similar clothing.
Detectives are particularly keen to hear from a young man, in his 20s, who was seen getting onto an Ipswich Buses bus (route no.13) which left the store around the time of the incident.
Anyone who witnessed this incident should call Detective Sergeant Tamlyn Burgess at Bury St Edmunds CID on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.