Ipswich: More help for those facing spiralling debts
A new initiative aimed at helping people who are struggling after taking on payday and illegal loans, has been launched.
The new service, based at Westbourne Library, will offer support and advice to people who are facing spiralling debts as a result of the high interest loans.
It is hoped the project, a partnership between the library, Ipswich and Suffolk Credit Union and Trading Standards, will provide a lifeline for people in the area.
Garath Jones, chairman of the Friends of Westbourne Library, said: “It’s awful, people making money out of others who are suffering.
“The whole idea is to try and help people and try to reassure the community that there is help and they can come and speak to people.”
You may also want to watch:
People will be able to talk to representatives from the union at the Sherrington Road library every Tuesday between 10-11am.
Sally Chicken, volunteer director at the Ipswich and Suffolk Credit Union, added: “We are trying to offer people an alternative and there is some prevention advice as well – people have been very receptive.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 7 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“This is very much about awareness raising.”
For more information about the service, please call 01473 690690.
? How have you been affected by pay day loans? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com