Ipswich: MP’s fury at radio call-in cesspit jibes
AN MP today told of his anger after Suffolk residents launched an attack on Ipswich during a radio call–in.
Ipswich MP Ben Gummer called on the town to unite against claims it was “shabby and rundown” and had become a “cesspit”.
Callers to Radio Suffolk’s breakfast show on Thursday were asked to discuss safety in the town following stabbings in Nacton Road and Oulton Road last week.
However, listeners blasted Ipswich, with one branding the town a “hell hole”.
But Ipswich MP Ben Gummer today disputed the claims and said the town had “the finest community in the whole of Suffolk”.
He said: “I know that people can be very snobbish about Ipswich.
“It is a pity because people say it without knowing the town. I hate that people slag off Suffolk’s county town when we should be supporting the developments ahead.”
- 1 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 6 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 7 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 8 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 9 Police cordon off Felixstowe town centre car park after incident
- 10 Estate agent switches household’s energy supply without telling tenant
Presenter Terry Baxter said: “I’m Ipswich born and bred, and proud of it.
“I was happy to defend it on the show but clearly not everyone shares my passion for the town.”
The Evening Star launched the I Love Ipswich campaign earlier this year, aiming to champion all that is great about Suffolk’s county town.
Evening Star editor Nigel Pickover said: “We need to be very careful before criticising Ipswich because ours is a delightful town with a fabulous track record of harmony and well-being.”
n Tell us why you love Ipswich – write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com