Ipswich: Mum tells of fears after suspected arson attack
IPSWICH: A shocked mum today told of the dramatic moment a neighbour came to her rescue following a suspected arson attack at her Ipswich home.
Police are investigating the incident in Robeck Road in which Heidi Burgess’s gas meter was set alight as the mum-of-one bathed with eight-year-old daughter Chanel.
Ms Burgess’s anger at the arson has been further fuelled by a delay in replacing the gas meter which left her without heating and hot water for more than 48 hours.
The 28-year-old said she was only alerted to the blaze, which took place on Thursday, by a neighbour “going frantic at the front door”.
She said: “It must have been about 7.20pm and I was in the bath with Chanel and all of a sudden I could hear someone banging at the front door – they were going frantic.
You may also want to watch:
“We quickly got out of the bath to see what was going on and we could see all these bright orange flames out the front door.
“My neighbour told me to get out of the house quickly because with it being gas you never know what could happen. It was terrifying.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
“If he hadn’t have got my attention me and my daughter would probably be dead.”
Emergency services were called to the incident, with two fire crews bringing the blaze under control within an hour.
Ms Burgess added: “Chanel has only slept here for one night since, it has left her really scared. She always asks me to check the doors are locked now and has been following me around the house.”
A spokesman for National Grid said there had been complications in receiving the necessary information for supplier, N-Power.
He added: “There has been a complication in getting the relevant information from the supplier.
“We will continue to assist the customers and will try to get the issue solved as soon as possible.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused and have supplied temporary heating and cooking equipment for the interim.”
A spokesman for supplier N-Power said: “We would like offer our sincere apologies for the delay in the replacement of the gas meter for Ms Burgess.
“We did ask the for the work to be carried out last week, but for some reason as yet unclear it wasn’t expedited.”
n Have you got a story? Contact the news desk on 01473 324788 or e-mail starnews@evening star.co.uk