Ipswich: New bin collections start next week - Monday rounds cease and every round in the borough will be altered
A radical shake-up in bin collections in Ipswich starts next week.
Refuse collection teams switch from a five-day week to a four-day week from Tuesday and every collection route in the town will be affected.
No domestic bins will be collected on Mondays, and the switch should mean there are no changes even on weeks when there are bank holidays.
New bin collections are being introduced in Ipswich from next week and most homes will be affected.
Each area of the town will have bins collected on the same day: On Tuesdays it will be north-west Ipswich, on Wednesdays north-east Ipswich, on Thursdays south-east Ipswich and on Fridays south-west Ipswich. There may also be changes about which bins will be collected each week by the new time of 6am.
In future there will only be changes to collections over Christmas and New Year. The bins will be collected as normal on Good Friday (April 18 this year).
The new arrangements should save the borough about £160,000 in the first year. Full details of the changes can be found at: www.ipswich.gov.uk/binchanges.
You may also want to watch:
There could be more than a fortnight between your existing and new black bin collection. The council will collect up to three plastic bags of general rubbish placed next to the black bin during the first fortnight of the new scheme.
Councillor with responsibility for refuse collection Phil Smart said: “We appreciate it could take some householders a few weeks to get used to the new arrangements, but we are confident that they will soon get used to the changes and appreciate there will not be disruption during bank holiday weeks.”
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 7 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 8 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 9 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast