Ipswich: New homes to be built on site of former Thomas Wolsey School
Ipswich: New homes are to be built on the former site of the Thomas Wolsey School off Old Norwich Road.
Housebuilders Persimmon have been given permission to build 48 new homes on the site – and the first should be finished by the summer.
The borough’s planning and development committee backed an application and now preparation work is expected to start soon.
Simon Maddison, land manager at Persimmon Homes Anglia, said: “We aim to begin work on Thomas Wolsey Court as quickly as possible, with the intention that the first homes can be released for sale this summer.
“There will be a mix of two, three and four bedroom homes, designed to be in keeping with the surrounding area. Many of the mature trees on site are to be retained, with approximately 15 per cent of the land set out as public open space.
“This will not only give the development an attractive and established feel from the outset, it will also further enhance the biodiversity of the area.”
Twelve of the properties will be allocated as affordable homes, delivered in partnership with Persimmon’s Registered Provider and with the intention that they are occupied by local people.
- 1 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 2 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 3 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 4 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 7 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Why has my car been covered in dust?
Persimmon will, through a legal agreement, be making financial contributions towards improving the sports, recreation and play facilities in the vicinity, along with a transport contribution to provide a new footpath and cycle path through the site, connecting Old Norwich Road to the Whitton recreational area.
The Thomas Wolsey school moved to a new site on a shared campus with Thurleston High School – now the Ormiston Endeavour Academy – in January 2009.
n Will the new homes be good for the area? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or you can send an e-mail to starletters@ archant.co.uk