Ipswich: New Tesco store due to open by Christmas
- Credit: Archant
The new Tesco neighbourhood store on Norwich Road is due to open at the start of December.
Work has started on converting the former Emperor pub into a Tesco Express store – and a notice on the boards surrounding the work say that the store will open on December 3.
The decision to close the Emperor was hugely controversial as regulars fought to save their community pub – however the conversion did not require planning permission.
Planning consent was needed for an extension to be built for the store – but after the borough lost a similar application on appeal for the Golden Key on Woodbridge Road, the extension was backed by planners.
During the planning meeting that approved the new store, a spokesman for the retailer said the Tesco Express would create about 20 new full and part-time jobs.
You may also want to watch:
However there are fears that the store’s arrival could add to the pressure on some of the other small stores in that part of Norwich Road.
The work on the store is getting under way as Tesco has submitted a planning application for changes to the Heathlands pub on Foxhall Road which it hopes to convert into another small store early next year.
- 1 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 2 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 3 Opening date confirmed for new indoor market in Ipswich's former Peacocks
- 4 WATCH: England fan pulled out of water at Ipswich marina
- 5 £1.4m home with swimming pool and tennis court for sale on edge of Ipswich
- 6 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial: 'Good character cannot provide a defence'
- 8 Drug courier delivering cocaine in Ipswich is jailed
- 9 'Stressed' bride forced to cut guest list just over a week before wedding
- 10 302 complaints about dogs off lead in Christchurch Park
The Golden Key on Woodbridge Road is currently being converted into a small neighbourhood Sainsbury’s store.
Will you use the new Tesco store? Would you prefer the Emperor to have been save? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org