Ipswich: Osteopath who has worked for ITFC accepts entering “consensual relationship” with patient ahead of disciplinary hearing
A leading Suffolk osteopath is facing a disciplinary hearing accused of unacceptable professional misconduct following allegations of relationship with a “vulnerable” patient.
Mark Piper is a partner at Gilmour Piper in Fonnereau Road, Ipswich, and also consultant osteopath for Ipswich Town Football Club, working with the first team squad.
The hearing in front of the General Osteopathic Council’s Professional Conduct Committee started on Monday and is expected to last most of this week.
In a statement, Mr Piper has accepted he entered a “consensual relationship” with the patient, but he will be denying some of the allegations against him.
The claims cover a period from September 2001 until December 2012.
It is alleged that during this time he conducted an inappropriate relationship with a “vulnerable” patient.
Mr Piper is also accused of not keeping proper records in relation to his treatment of the same patient.
- 1 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 2 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 4 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 5 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 6 'Incredibly proud': 11-year-old saves classmate choking on chicken nugget
- 7 Alleyway near Ipswich town centre remains sealed off after serious assault
- 8 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
- 9 'Fantastic' new café at Needham Lake beauty spot opens its doors
- 10 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
A statement released by lawyers acting for Mr Piper said: “We would like to state that it would be inappropriate for Mr Piper to comment in detail at this stage given that the council is in the middle of hearing this case.
“However, we can confirm that Mr Piper has accepted that he entered into a consensual relationship with a patient some years ago.
“Certain allegations regarding the circumstances as to how the relationship arose have been denied. It is expected that Mr Piper will be giving evidence about the areas of dispute in due course.”