Ipswich Primary Academies trust plans to create new free school
Plans to launch a free school in Ipswich have been unveiled in a bid to meet an increasing demand for primary school places.
The Ipswich Primary Academies Trust currently runs St Helen’s Primary School in Woodbridge Road, The Oaks Primary School in Aster Road and Whitton Primary School in Shakespeare Road, and has announced plans to create a ‘sister school’ to St Helen’s in light of high admissions applications.
Clare Flintoff, principal of St Helen’s Primary School and executive principal of the Ipswich Primary Academies Trust, said: “Demand for places at St Helen’s and in the local area has been increasing and unfortunately we are not able to offer places to all who apply.
“This pressure is only likely to increase with likely population increases. This is a response to that need but it’s also wanting that high quality educational offer that’s provided at St Helen’s.”
Each year the school accepts 60 new pupils, and last year received more than 90 applications.
While proposals are in the early stages, the trust aims to locate the school close to St Helen’s.
This week, an online consultation has opened in which parents and members of the community can share their support, questions and comments.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 4 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 5 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 8 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 9 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 10 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
A bid for the school is due to be submitted in September after views from the community have been sought, with an earliest estimated opening date of September 2018.
Mrs Flintoff added: “We are really excited about a potential new school for Ipswich Primary Academies Trust and really hope to be able to meet the needs of our community by providing a school which will build on the high standards we have achieved at St Helen’s.”
To make a comment or raise a question, visit www.ipswichprimaryacademiestrust.org/home/free-school or alternatively email email@example.com.