Convicted murderer back in court after being tasered twice by police

PUBLISHED: 19:00 31 December 2019 | UPDATED: 06:29 01 January 2020

Leon Sobers appeared on video link from Martlesham Heath police investigation centre at Suffolk Magistrates' Court  Picture: GREGG BROWN

Leon Sobers appeared on video link from Martlesham Heath police investigation centre at Suffolk Magistrates' Court Picture: GREGG BROWN

A convicted murderer has reappeared in court for resisting arrest after being tasered by police at an address in Ipswich.

Leon Sobers received a life sentence, with a minimum of 11 years in jail, for killing an Ipswich barmaid during a robbery in December 2000.

Sobers, now 41, of Honywood Close, Marks Tey, appeared at Suffolk Magistrates' Court on Monday to admit obstructing or resisting a constable in the early hours of the previous morning.

Prosecutor Wayne Ablett said police wanted to talk to Sobers in connection with a domestic incident in the Nansen Road area

Sobers was spotted walking into a nearby property, where he declined requests to admit officers, who nevertheless entered to find him sitting on a sofa.

When told he was under arrest, Sobers stood up and drank from a wine glass, which he then smashed at his feet.

As an officer drew their Taser, Sobers sat back down and resisted being handcuffed - tensing his arms and pulling away, until being shot with the device and falling to the ground, where he was shocked for a second time while reaching towards the back of the sofa.

The court heard Sobers had been jailed for four months for battery and assaulting a police officer in 2015.

You may also want to watch:

Shelley Drew, mitigating, said Sobers had to accept his past but appeared before the court - and should be dealt with - for one offence of resisting arrest.

"He is aware of being on lifetime licence, and that any involvement with the police could result in him being returned to prison," she added.

"He admits that's why he wasn't as co-operative as he should have been.

"As serious as his previous offences may be, he has not been before the court since 2015 and is engaging with probation without any breaches."

The probation service said Sobers would receive a final warning but would not yet be recalled to prison.

Magistrates sentenced Sobers to one day of custody, deemed served by time spent in the cell.

Sobers was involved in a robbery which resulted in a woman dying from injuries suffered outside an Ipswich pub.

The pub's landlord suffered head injuries during the robbery.

Although Sobers had not taken part in the attack, a jury decided he shared responsibility for the woman's death.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star