Ipswich: Reader tells of van blaze drama
A SHOCKED resident today told of his horror after an explosion from a van fire caused the doors in his home to rattle.
Ryan Pond, of Ipswich, thought a loud firework had gone off until he heard his neighbours in Reading Road shouting.
Mr Pond, who captured the drama which was unfolding on his doorstep, said: “There was a loud explosion outside that rattled the door, being this time of year I had just assumed that it was a loud firework.
“It was only until I heard someone outside shouting that I thought to look outside.
“There was parked white van that was completely engulfed in flames. The first thing that came to mind was to phone the fire service, but luckily a neighbour quickly said that they had already called 999.
“It was surreal to stand there and watch the flames just outside the front door. After a minute or so we could hear the engine of the van start to whirr and shortly after there was another smaller explosion.”
A fire crew from Princes Street was called to the scene at 7.50pm last night.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 3 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 4 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 5 Why has my car been covered in dust?
- 6 Felixstowe's Wicker family beheaded by vandals
- 7 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 8 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 9 Critically endangered calf born at Jimmy's Farm near Ipswich
- 10 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the flames using a hose reel jet and the incident was brought under control by 8.20pm.