Ipswich: Rescue operation at building site

Details of a dramatic rescue operation after a man was seriously injured in a building site accident have been revealed today.

KESGRAVE: Details of a dramatic rescue operation after a man was seriously injured in a building site accident have been revealed today.

Residents also told how the casualty’s distraught mother had to be consoled after he was hit by a digger bucket before falling into a 20ft deep hole in Fentons Way, Grange Farm, Kesgrave.

Members of the emergency services described the great care which needed to be taken to extract the man after he sustained serious facial injuries at around 10.10am on Saturday.

The officer in charge of the fire service rescue operation, Ian Mallett, commander of East district, said: “The incident involved a variety of specialist appliances, equipped to work at height or at lower levels.


You may also want to watch:


“We used a specialist stretcher, securing him with a number of different harnesses. He was then winched out of the trench vertically, with a paramedic assessing him all the time.”

East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) spokesman Gary Sanderson, said: “The incident required specialist clinicians to attend the scene as the man was reported trapped down a hole approximately 20 feet and had suffered significant facial injuries.

Most Read

“Our hazardous area response team were mobilised to the incident along with a critical care team on the Essex Air Ambulance.

“A paramedic was able to assist in the treatment, stabilisation and immobilisation in the hole before the fire service removed him to ground level.

“Land ambulance crews and the critical care team treated the casualty further before he was taken to Ipswich Hospital.”

Resident said the scene was a harrowing one.

One said: “I looked out onto my driveway and saw a woman standing by it. I went down and she was crying, so I gave her a hug.

“She said her son was involved in the incident and that the road was blocked, so she could not get any closer to him.”

Another resident said: “We heard the guy on the phone shouting and screaming. I feel so sorry for him. I think they were digging the trench for drainage.”

Police closed the road while the casualty was rescued.

After being taken to Ipswich Hospital the man, believed to in his early 30s, was transferred to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital for surgery.

Suffolk Constabulary said the Health and Safety Executive had been informed.

A police spokesman said: “Early reports suggest that the man was hit by digger bucket whilst he was digging, he has sustained serious head injuries.”

If you would like to send your best wishes to the man e-mail starnews@eveningstar.co.uk or telephone the newsdesk on 01473 324790.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter