Ipswich: Restaurant staff celebrate Grand National win after their namesake takes the title at Aintree
WHEN Grand National outsider Auroras Encore crossed the finish line to secure an unexpected win, staff at one town restaurant were cheering with joy.
Staff at the Aurora in Orwell Quay have been busy celebrating after betting to win on their namesake.
At 66-1 the horse shocked the nation when it romped home ahead of Cappa Bleu in second and Teaforthree in third.
Callum Hewitt, director of Aurora, told of his delight after winning the annual race. Head chef Stuart Drane and countless customers were also celebrating their wins.
The 26-year-old said: “I don’t know anything about horseracing, but when we were told that there was a horse running with the same name as our restaurant we couldn’t not have a bet on it.
“We only bet on it because of its name.
“I bet £10 on it and our head chef had a great win from it too, he won over £1,000.
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 3 Search for new Post Office in east Ipswich
- 4 Felixstowe man who trashed his ex's home ordered to pay compensation
- 5 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 6 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 7 Revealed: The Indian restaurants in Ipswich with five-star hygiene ratings
- 8 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 9 'Real vote of confidence' - New Travelodge starts building work by stadium
- 10 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
“A lot of our customers have been emailing in to us today to tell us they bet on the horse because they were coming to the restaurant. One group had booked their wedding with us and bet on it because of that.
“It’s great that so many people won.
“We were watching the race in the kitchen and we were all shouting and cheering when it won.
“We had some customers in at the time so I think they could tell that our horse had won.
Auroras Encore powered clear at the final fence and won by nine lengths.