Ipswich: Robber jailed for his part in robbery in which victim had scalding tea poured over him and scissors held to his throat

Ethan Evans

Ethan Evans - Credit: Archant

A 22-year-old who was involved in a robbery during which a man had scalding tea poured over his head and scissors held to his throat has been locked up for eight-and-a-half years.

Jailing Ethan Evans, Judge John Holt said he was one of four young men who had burst into Christopher Johnson’s flat in Bloomfield Street, Ipswich with scarves covering their faces and wearing gloves.

“It must have been a frightening sight,” said the judge.

During the incident Mr Johnson, who is in his 50s, was hit with a fire extinguisher, had a vase smashed on his head and had a pair of scissors held to his throat.

He was also dragged out of his chair and punched and kicked while the gang shouted “where’s the money, where’s the jewellery and where’s the weed”.

At one stage a bowl of water was brought in and Mr Johnson feared he was going to be drowned, said Judge Holt.

During the incident the flat was ransacked before the gang drove off in Mr Johnson’s Ford Fiesta with cash, jewellery, watches and a small amount of cannabis.

Most Read

In a victim impact statement Mr Johnson said that as a result of the attack in October he had suffered daily headaches, blurred vision, sore ribs and needed extensive dental treatment.

He and his family, who have lived in Ipswich for 13 years, had also decided to move from the area as they no longer felt safe in the town.

Evans, of Lanark Road, Ipswich, denied robbery but was found guilty after a trial.

In addition to jailing Evans, Judge Holt extended his licence period by five years.

During Evans’ trial Mr Johnson told a jury at Ipswich Crown Court that the defendant was his daughter’s former boyfriend and he had recognised him when the scarf fell from his face during the robbery.

Simon Gladwell for Evans said his client had ADHD and was younger than his years.

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Evans’s mother said her son suffered from autism and, despite first seeking support when he was just 10 years old, she had been unable to get any help for him.