Ipswich’s second alleged double stabbing this month – what we know so far
- Credit: Archant
Two men remain seriously injured in hospital today after reportedly being attacked in central Ipswich on Sunday night.
It is the second time this month a serious attack has taken place in the town after two men were killed in a stabbing at the West Meadows travellers’ site.
Police have provided updated information today, December 20, so here is everything we know about the latest incident.
• Suffolk Constabulary was called by the East of England Ambulance Service around 10pm on Sunday (December 18).
• They had responded to reports of two men with serious injuries in Foundation Street, Ipswich.
• The men are aged 26 and 30, with their conditions initially described as “life threatening” by police.
• The wounds they had sustained were said to be “serious chest and abdomen injuries”.
• It is alleged both men were stabbed.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 5 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 6 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 9 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 10 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
• Two people, aged 48 and 57, were arrested by officers at a property in the area around Foundation Street at 12.35am, on suspicion of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm (GBH).
• Yesterday (Monday, December 19), the 26-year-old victim was said to be in a critical but stable condition, while the 30-year-old was “stable”, police said.
• A cordon was put up in Foundation Street between Wingfield Street and Smart Street, partially blocking access to the 513-space NCP Blackfriars car park, following the attack. The car park is however open as normal.
• A spokesman for NCP said police were not carrying out investigations inside the car park.
• Suffolk Constabulary increased its presence in the area while its officers investigate the incident.
• Late on December 19 the police force arrested a third man, a 24-year-old from Ipswich, in connection with the incident.
Meanwhile, the two people arrested earlier were bailed to return to police next February.
• Yesterday morning (Tuesday, December 20), Suffolk Constabulary arrested two more people, bringing the total number of arrests in connection with the incident to five.
• The latest arrests are of a 33-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder and a 41-year-old woman on suspicion of assisting an offender. Both are from Ipswich.
• Late on December 20 the 24-year-old man arrested the previous day and the 33-year-old man and 41-year-old woman arrested on Tuesday were all released on bail.