Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 22°C

min temp: 10°C

Search

Ipswich's second alleged double stabbing this month - what we know so far

PUBLISHED: 11:05 20 December 2016 | UPDATED: 10:04 21 December 2016

Scene of an alleged double stabbing in Foundation Street, Ipswich.

Scene of an alleged double stabbing in Foundation Street, Ipswich.

Archant

Two men remain seriously injured in hospital today after reportedly being attacked in central Ipswich on Sunday night.

It is the second time this month a serious attack has taken place in the town after two men were killed in a stabbing at the West Meadows travellers’ site.

Police have provided updated information today, December 20, so here is everything we know about the latest incident.

• Suffolk Constabulary was called by the East of England Ambulance Service around 10pm on Sunday (December 18).

• They had responded to reports of two men with serious injuries in Foundation Street, Ipswich.

• The men are aged 26 and 30, with their conditions initially described as “life threatening” by police.

• The wounds they had sustained were said to be “serious chest and abdomen injuries”.

• It is alleged both men were stabbed.

• Two people, aged 48 and 57, were arrested by officers at a property in the area around Foundation Street at 12.35am, on suspicion of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm (GBH).

• Yesterday (Monday, December 19), the 26-year-old victim was said to be in a critical but stable condition, while the 30-year-old was “stable”, police said.

• A cordon was put up in Foundation Street between Wingfield Street and Smart Street, partially blocking access to the 513-space NCP Blackfriars car park, following the attack. The car park is however open as normal.

• A spokesman for NCP said police were not carrying out investigations inside the car park.

• Suffolk Constabulary increased its presence in the area while its officers investigate the incident.

• Late on December 19 the police force arrested a third man, a 24-year-old from Ipswich, in connection with the incident.

Meanwhile, the two people arrested earlier were bailed to return to police next February.

• Yesterday morning (Tuesday, December 20), Suffolk Constabulary arrested two more people, bringing the total number of arrests in connection with the incident to five.

• The latest arrests are of a 33-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder and a 41-year-old woman on suspicion of assisting an offender. Both are from Ipswich.

• Late on December 20 the 24-year-old man arrested the previous day and the 33-year-old man and 41-year-old woman arrested on Tuesday were all released on bail.

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists