Ipswich’s SnowSun Adrenaline Sports donates £15,000 worth of clothes for Dunkirk refugees
- Credit: Su Anderson
An Ipswich ski shop has donated 16 boxes of warm clothing to go towards a collection for refugees in France.
These will be taken to Dunkirk by members of St Francis Church Chantry and given to people in need before Christmas.
Kevin Rout, owner of SnowSun Adrenaline Sports in Felixstowe Road, said the clothing was worth around £15,000 in total.
He added: “It was mainly socks and hats going back some time that had just built up over the years and hopefully it has gone to a good cause.”
Last week, Mr Rout and his team from the shop delivered the items to Katy Hayton, who has rounded up more than £20,000 worth of items to be taken to Dunkirk.
Mrs Hayton said she had originally collected clothing and toiletries for Anaya Aid, a charity that sends goods directly to Syria, and Calaid, which supports refugees in Calais.
However, she added: “It became clear that due to the high profile of the camp in Calais, they had been inundated with aid but there were several smaller camps in northern France that had no aid and no charity presence on the ground. These camps were smaller but were mostly families with small children.”
- 1 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 2 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 5 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 6 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 7 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 Six police cars at scene of bungalow fire
- 10 Town to gather to remember flood victims 69 years on
Mrs Hayton got in contact with a woman who had been to Dunkirk with St Francis Church Chantry to find out what the families needed.
She called on support from members of the community and has received donations from Suffolk New College, two halal shops in Norwich Road, Ipswich, as well as from residents in Shotley Peninsula and Ipswich.