Ipswich school fire drama
STUDENTS had to be evacuated from a classroom at an Ipswich school today after a fume extractor burst into flames.The drama happened at around 10.30am in one of the mobile classrooms at Northgate High School.
STUDENTS had to be evacuated from a classroom at an Ipswich school today after a fume extractor burst into flames.
The drama happened at around 10.30am in one of the mobile classrooms at Northgate High School.
Neil Watts, head teacher at the Sidegate Lane school said a science lesson had been about to finish when a the motor on a fume cupboard extractor burst into flames causing a small blaze in the roof space.
He said there were only around ten sixth form students in the classroom at the time and no-one was hurt.
You may also want to watch:
Fire crews from Colchester Road were on scene within minutes and put out the flames within around 15 minutes.
Mr Watts said that because the classroom was in an isolated area of the grounds the 1700 pupil school did not need to be fully evacuated.
- 1 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 2 Community 'very shocked' by stabbing in Ipswich
- 3 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 4 Drug dealer seen bragging in YouTube rap videos
- 5 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 6 Work to start on new Ipswich town centre retirement homes
- 7 Man to be sentenced over 'dine and dash' spree
- 8 Burglary at O2 store in Ipswich town centre
- 9 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 10 Pair in court following suspected stolen dogs raid at West Meadows
Mr Watts said: "The temporary classroom is on the far side of the school.
"It was only that classroom and the immediate vicinity that had to be evacuated.
"I think that some of the pupils won't even know that it happened."
As with all schools, regular fire alarms take place at Northgate but this is the first time that Mr Watts can remember they have had to be put into practice for real.
He said: "The evacuation worked extremely well.
"It was a fairly small incident but it tested the procedures we have in place.
"The fire service were here very quickly which we were pleased about."
By around 11am the school was back to normal again.