Ipswich: School’s leadership sets out aims for the future after academy switch is confirmed
OUTSTANDING in two years!
That is the goal bosses at Westbourne Sports College have set themselves after it was confirmed the school will become an academy next year.
Westbourne will be sponsored by the Academy Transformation Trust (ATT) and it is hoped the change to an academy will begin in February.
Dave Lee-Allan, the school’s deputy headteacher, said: “It is exciting to be a part of and in working with the ATT, it is very exciting in terms of the future and the immediate outcomes for the school.”
The decision was made at a governors’ meeting last week and the new name for the school will be Westbourne Academy.
You may also want to watch:
A change of uniform is also expected but this is not due to happen in February.
Westbourne was graded as three – needing improvement – in its latest Ofsted report this year.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
- 10 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
A change in the Ofsted rating framework means that the school will be visited again within two years and, if there is no improvement, they could be placed into special measures.
But the school’s leadership is hopeful the rating will change from three to one, outstanding, on the inspectors’ next visit.
Mr Lee-Allan added: “The ATT are committed to working with Westbourne to improve the quality of teaching and to ensure that the students get the best that they deserve.”
? What are your thoughts on the change? Let us know by writing to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or, alternatively, you can send an e-mail to email@example.com