Ipswich: School’s leadership sets out aims for the future after academy switch is confirmed
OUTSTANDING in two years!
That is the goal bosses at Westbourne Sports College have set themselves after it was confirmed the school will become an academy next year.
Westbourne will be sponsored by the Academy Transformation Trust (ATT) and it is hoped the change to an academy will begin in February.
Dave Lee-Allan, the school’s deputy headteacher, said: “It is exciting to be a part of and in working with the ATT, it is very exciting in terms of the future and the immediate outcomes for the school.”
The decision was made at a governors’ meeting last week and the new name for the school will be Westbourne Academy.
A change of uniform is also expected but this is not due to happen in February.
Westbourne was graded as three – needing improvement – in its latest Ofsted report this year.
- 1 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Calls to crush and seize cars to tackle ongoing anti-social behaviour
- 4 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 5 Ipswich drug dealer found with 30 bags of cocaine jailed
- 6 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 7 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 8 24-year-old man banned from driving for three years
- 9 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 10 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
A change in the Ofsted rating framework means that the school will be visited again within two years and, if there is no improvement, they could be placed into special measures.
But the school’s leadership is hopeful the rating will change from three to one, outstanding, on the inspectors’ next visit.
Mr Lee-Allan added: “The ATT are committed to working with Westbourne to improve the quality of teaching and to ensure that the students get the best that they deserve.”
? What are your thoughts on the change? Let us know by writing to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or, alternatively, you can send an e-mail to email@example.com