Ipswich sheltered accommodation noisy neighbour ends up in court
- Credit: Gregg Brown
A noise nuisance could face eviction from his Ipswich sheltered housing accommodation after making life intolerable for his neighbours.
Paul Jay, of Broke Hall House, Bucklesham Road, was found guilty in his absence by Ipswich magistrates of contravening a noise abatement notice.
Jay, who is in his mid 60s, was given the notice in August last year.
It is understood complaints had been received about banging and shouting coming from his flat, and the excessively loud commentary of the Olympics from his television.
Prosecutor Mandy Ford said numerous complaints had since been received from residents.
You may also want to watch:
However, on December 20 last year an Ipswich Borough Council environmental health protection officer responded to further complaints about Jay’s premises.
She went into a flat below Jay’s at around 8.20pm and could hear loud noises and talking.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 6 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 7 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
- 8 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 9 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
The talking graduated to shouting and sounded like an argument was taking place, but only one male voice could be heard.
The court was told there followed about 30 bangs on the floor and shouting could still be heard.
Continuous banging carried on with a loud outburst of shouting. More banging then followed.
Before leaving the sheltered housing accommodation the environmental health officer went to Jay’s flat and stood outside where she could still hear shouting.
Mrs Ford said Jay was sent paperwork about the court hearing on June 1, but had not turned up for the hearing.
When pronouncing sentence magistrates said over an eight-month period there had been numerous complaints.
Mrs Ford said: “Now the matters have been proved that will make it far easier for the council to evict Mr Jay.”
He was fined £150 and ordered to pay costs of £200.
After the hearing an IBC spokesman said: “We will not tolerate this behaviour.
“The council is committed to helping all residents to enjoy their lives without the nuisance of noisy neighbours and when we have the evidence we will take action.
“Ignoring a noise abatement notice is extremely unwise as it can result in a court appearance and a fine with additional costs.”