Ipswich: Shock for shoppers in Ipswich as prankster Dom Joly films new sketch in town
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers in Ipswich were left in shock after being asked by an elderly woman for help in her bid to steal from a discount store in the town.
But shoppers at Yippee! It’s 99p, in Carr Street, were relieved when it was revealed that popular prankster Dom Joly was filming the proceedings for his new
show – and they were all in the act.
Joly, known for shows including Trigger Happy TV, was directing a “stealing gran” sketch, which will soon be airing on ITV.
Dennis Davis, managing director of the shop, said: “They had her with an old lady’s shopping trolley and she was down one of the aisles and asking people to give her a hand with her shopping.
“She started filling up her trolley. Some people were helping and walking off. One girl came up to the counter and said the old lady was encouraging a boy to put something in her bag, she’s getting him to steal stuff for her.”
Joly remained at the back of the shop during the filming.
- 1 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 2 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
- 3 Revealed: All the places crimes were reported in Ipswich in April
- 4 Tributes paid to 'calm and caring' grassroots football stalwart 'Mr Exiles'
- 5 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 6 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 7 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Popular Ipswich motorcycle show to return for 30th year
- 10 Warning after spate of catalytic converter thefts
The sketch is expected to form part of the second series of hidden camera show Fool Britannia, which first aired in September last year.