Ipswich shoplifter detained by public after stealing TV from Aldi
A shoplifter was caught by members of the public after trying to steal a television from an Aldi store in Ipswich, a court heard.
Marcel Bagley, of Tern Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty before the town’s magistrates to theft from a shop on December 11.
The 32-year-old had tried to steal a TV priced at £329.99.
Prosecutor Tess Mann said a worker at the store was alerted to Bagley taking the television and leaving the store without paying. He was followed to the far corner of the shop’s car park while carrying a large box. Bagley dropped the box and ran off when he realised he was being followed.
Mrs Mann said Bagley was arrested after he was detained by members of the public who were aware of what had happened in the store.
Magistrates heard he had previous convictions for dishonesty and theft.
Bagley, representing himself, said he had previously used cocaine, but was now getting help for his problem.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 4 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 7 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 8 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 9 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 10 House of Tweed leaves Ipswich after Christmas season
He was ordered to pay £200 in fines and costs.