Ipswich/Shotley/ Felixstowe: Three men on bail over alleged rape
THREE men are on police bail today on suspicion of being involved with the alleged rape of a woman in Ipswich, it has emerged.
A 20 year-old from the town was arrested on suspicion of raping a woman in her 20s in a late-night attack in Wingfield Street.
Two other suspects – a 21-year-old from Ipswich and a 24-year-old from Felixstowe – have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to rape.
The trio must return to the police investigation centre at Suffolk Constabulary’s Martlesham headquarters on November 20.
They were detained by officers after the woman was said to have been attacked at around 11.30pm on September 22.
You may also want to watch:
Details of the incident and arrests have only now emerged after an enquiry by The Star.
Suffolk Constabulary has said that after being questioned, the suspects were bailed pending further enquiries.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 4 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 6 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 9 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 10 'I will miss her enormously' - husband's tribute to NHS hero Carol
The woman was taken to the Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Ipswich in the aftermath of the incident, where she was subsequently interviewed by specially-trained officers.
A separate inquiry is also currently under way into the alleged rape of a woman in Shotley Gate.
The attack is said to have occurred in the area of Lower Harlings.
Police have said a 23-year-old man from the Ipswich area was arrested following the incident and was questioned by officers.
The man, who was detained on suspicion of rape, was released on police bail while officers continue their enquiries.
He must return to the police investigation centre at Bury St Edmunds on December 19.
The alleged attack on a woman in her 40s occurred in the early hours of Saturday, September 15, and also emerged after an enquiry by the Star.
It was reported to police on the afternoon of September 15.
The suspect was arrested on September 16.