Ipswich: Sofa dumped at river beauty spot
- Credit: Archant
IT’S an idyllic spot to gaze across the river with a perfect view of the Orwell Bridge – and now there’s somewhere to sit.
This sofa was spotted dumped in the middle of the mud flats of the River Orwell, just off The Strand in Wherstead.
Babergh District Council, which is the local authority responsible for the area near to the Suffolk Food Hall, was alerted to the unusual addition to the shoreline yesterday morning and a crew was sent to retrieve it.
But when they got there, they were unable to spot the battered red chair – prompting fears the tide may have come in and covered it.
A spokesman for Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils said: “Fly-tipping is a criminal offence which both Babergh and Mid Suffolk Councils take extremely seriously.
You may also want to watch:
“We would urge all householders to think carefully about how they dispose of extra waste as the council will not hesitate to take action when it is dumped.
“We search all fly-tipping for evidence of those responsible and we encourage members of the public who witness this thoughtless act to come forward so we can pursue those who commit this offence.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 5 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 6 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 7 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 8 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 9 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 10 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths
“To report an incident of fly-tipping, please call us on 01473 826622.”