Ipswich: Sofa dumped at river beauty spot
- Credit: Archant
IT’S an idyllic spot to gaze across the river with a perfect view of the Orwell Bridge – and now there’s somewhere to sit.
This sofa was spotted dumped in the middle of the mud flats of the River Orwell, just off The Strand in Wherstead.
Babergh District Council, which is the local authority responsible for the area near to the Suffolk Food Hall, was alerted to the unusual addition to the shoreline yesterday morning and a crew was sent to retrieve it.
But when they got there, they were unable to spot the battered red chair – prompting fears the tide may have come in and covered it.
A spokesman for Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils said: “Fly-tipping is a criminal offence which both Babergh and Mid Suffolk Councils take extremely seriously.
“We would urge all householders to think carefully about how they dispose of extra waste as the council will not hesitate to take action when it is dumped.
“We search all fly-tipping for evidence of those responsible and we encourage members of the public who witness this thoughtless act to come forward so we can pursue those who commit this offence.
- 1 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 2 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 3 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 4 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 5 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 8 Community calls for action as two questioned over Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
- 10 Transport is patients' top priority in new medical centre plans
“To report an incident of fly-tipping, please call us on 01473 826622.”