High winds close Ipswich festival event temporarily
- Credit: Supplied
High winds have temporarily closed an event on the first day of an Ipswich festival.
The Albesila Luminarium coloured tunnels at SPILL Festival of Performance have been temporarily shut on the Waterfront outside Cult Cafe on Wednesday.
A spokeswoman for the festival said: “About two hours after opening, the weather turned and the decision was taken to close Albesilum Luminarium temporarily, as a safety measure until high winds calmed down. Safety planning like this is paramount.
"It’s always a risk with unusual live art that something as typical as British weather might disrupt play occasionally.
"We are expecting to reopen tomorrow when the weather is predicted to be kinder, possibly sooner if we can."
Today marks the first day of the five day festival which features artworks and artists from around the world along with talks and performances.
If you missed your pre-booked visits today you will have chance to rebook either through the box office on 01473 210169 or by visiting Ipswich Town Hall between 10 am and 8.30pm, closing at 6 pm on Sunday.
- 1 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 2 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 8 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 9 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 10 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
The SPILL Festival of Performance added: "If they can’t rebook for another day, we will issue a refund.”