COMMENT: End this farce – Editor’s message to Home Office over Inga Lockington citizenship row
The outrageous decision to reject former Ipswich mayor Inga Lockington’s application for British citizenship must be reversed now.
That’s the Ipswich Star’s challenge to Home Secretary Sajid Javid today, a week after we first broke this story.
Mrs Lockington, a Liberal Democrat councillor for 19 years and mayor of her adopted town 10 years ago, is Danish. She married Dr Tim Lockington in 1979 and has lived here ever since.
READ MORE: Two-week wait for Inga Lockington decision from Home Office
The Brexit vote, and a change to Danish law, persuaded her to apply for UK citizenship – but the Home Office rejected her application because it “cannot be satisfied that you were permanently resident in the UK.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Lockington has lived in the UK for nearly 40 years.
If the Home Office, which is still reviewing the case, can treat somebody who has served public office with such distinction in this way, what hope for others?
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 5 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
We urge Mr Javid to intervene today.