Ipswich: Stop moaning and back this town – Dance East boss as “cesspit” row rumbles on
IPSWICH: As the debate over the state of town reaches a new intensity, the boss of Ipswich’s newest cultural centre hit out at the critics.
Assis Carreiro is chief executive of Dance East which runs the Jerwood Dance Centre on the Waterfront – which has been a catalyst for the revival of the Waterfront.
She entered the debate on the town which was sparked by a radio phone-in earlier this week when Ipswich was described by one caller as a “cesspit.”
Ms Carreiro said: “This town has come a long way over the last 10 years – just look at what has happened at the Waterfront with us and the university.
“People should look at the positive side. You don’t get everything happening at once. Change takes a long time to evolve but this is a wonderful town.
“I wish people would stop moaning and really back the town.”
Ms Carreiro accepted that the town centre needed new stores, but realised this would take time: “We’ve lost some good stores and gained some, but overall the town is developing. I love Ipswich!”
- 1 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 2 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 3 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 4 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 5 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 6 Girl, 15, followed by man while walking dog in village near Ipswich
- 7 Warehousing units take shape at Ipswich as demand rockets
- 8 Tributes to Ipswich's 'Mr Buses'
- 9 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 10 BT applies to install eight Street Hubs in Ipswich
The Waterfront still had a great deal of potential, but it was successfully attracting visitors: “Restaurants are often full and just look at the yachts in the marina, this is a great place.”
nDoes Ipswich deserve the recent criticism? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org