Ipswich: Stop moaning and back this town – Dance East boss as “cesspit” row rumbles on
IPSWICH: As the debate over the state of town reaches a new intensity, the boss of Ipswich’s newest cultural centre hit out at the critics.
Assis Carreiro is chief executive of Dance East which runs the Jerwood Dance Centre on the Waterfront – which has been a catalyst for the revival of the Waterfront.
She entered the debate on the town which was sparked by a radio phone-in earlier this week when Ipswich was described by one caller as a “cesspit.”
Ms Carreiro said: “This town has come a long way over the last 10 years – just look at what has happened at the Waterfront with us and the university.
“People should look at the positive side. You don’t get everything happening at once. Change takes a long time to evolve but this is a wonderful town.
You may also want to watch:
“I wish people would stop moaning and really back the town.”
Ms Carreiro accepted that the town centre needed new stores, but realised this would take time: “We’ve lost some good stores and gained some, but overall the town is developing. I love Ipswich!”
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 5 Major delays on A12 after five vehicle crash
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 9 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 10 'I miss him to bits' – Ipswich fundraiser for Alton Water teen deaths
The Waterfront still had a great deal of potential, but it was successfully attracting visitors: “Restaurants are often full and just look at the yachts in the marina, this is a great place.”
nDoes Ipswich deserve the recent criticism? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com