Ipswich: Subway evacuated after chemical spill
PUBLISHED: 13:40 02 August 2014 | UPDATED: 14:00 02 August 2014
One of the busiest takeaways in the heart of Ipswich was evacuated at lunchtime on Saturday after a suspected chemical leak.
A chemical was poured down a sink in the basement of the takeaway in Carr Street and fumes rose into the main shop on the ground floor.
Staff and customers were told to leave while emergency services attended.
There were no casualties. One member of staff complained of a sore throat and was examined by an ambulance paramedic but was given the all-clear.
Station Commander Chris Gibbs from Suffolk Fire Service said his team had checked what had happened and was waiting for a chemical expert assess the situation before handing the building back to its occupiers.