Search

Trio charged with robbery after raid at Whitton Premier Stores remanded in custody until crown court case

PUBLISHED: 17:48 11 April 2018 | UPDATED: 09:04 12 April 2018

The incident happened at the Premier Store in Garrick Way, Whitton. Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

The incident happened at the Premier Store in Garrick Way, Whitton. Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

Archant

Three Ipswich men have been remanded in custody to appear at crown court next month after being charged with robbery.

Ryan Hutchinson, Jack Clougherty-Gallagher and Lee Seaman are all accused of carrying out robbery at a convenience store in the Whitton area of the town.

The three men appeared in custody for their first hearing at South East Suffolk Magistrates’ Court, in Ipswich, yesterday.

All were arrested and charged with robbery following an incident at the Premier Stores shop, in Garrick Way, Whitton.

Police were called to the store just before 1pm on Tuesday, April 10, after three masked males stole two bottles of whiskey.

None of the accused men entered pleas to the charge of robbery – an indictable only offence, which must be dealt with in front of a judge and jury in the crown court.

The charge relates to the alleged robbery of alcohol to the value of £90 from the convenience store on Tuesday.

Clougherty-Gallagher, 26, of Thackeray Road, Ipswich, and 27-year-old Seaman, of Byron Road, Ipswich, are also both charged with one shoplifting offence.

Neither Clougherty-Gallagher, a roadworks traffic controller, nor Seaman, a plasterer, entered pleas to the shoplifting charge, which concerns the alleged theft of alcohol to the value of £45.

The pair appeared together in dock, represented by solicitors John Hughes and Mark Holt respectively.

Earlier, Hutchinson had appeared alone, represented by Lyndon Davies.

The 25-year-old, of Kipling Road, Ipswich, pleaded guilty to damaging a cell by spitting at Martlesham Heath police investigation centre on Tuesday.

He was fined £50 and ordered to pay £100 in compensation, £85 prosecution costs and a £30 statutory victim surcharge for the criminal damage.

Prosecutor Tess Mann said the alleged robbery and thefts took place on separate occasions on Tuesday morning.

The Crown Prosecution Service accuses the men of being involved in a joint enterprise for the alleged robbery.

All three were remanded in custody and taken to prison to await their first appearance at Ipswich Crown Court for a plea and case management hearing on May 9.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

An Ipswich-based law firm said it is unlikely the coronavirus stamp duty holiday will be backdated to March, despite a growing campaign. Last week chancellor Rishi Sunak announced that property buyers would pay no stamp duty on homes worth less than £500,000. According to Birketts law firm, this means someone buying a house for £341,091 – the average price of a house in East Anglia – would save £7,054. Now, a national law firm, Simpson Millar, has called on the government to backdate this tax cut to the beginning of lockdown on March 31. Sarah Ryan, head of private client and conveyancing at the firm, said: “We of course welcome the plans announced to freeze the stamp duty costs on any property up to the value of £500,000 which will not only encourage potential buyers to move on and up the proverbial ladder, but will also help to retain jobs in the real estate sector. “However, there is no denying that for some, in particular those individuals, couples and families who have managed to complete on the purchase of their home either during lockdown, or in the immediate aftermath, this will come as a bitter blow.” A petition calling for the government to backdate the holiday even further has gained nearly 10,000 signatures. If the petition reaches 10,000 signatures the government has to respond and if the petition reaches 100,000 then a debate in parliament must be held. But Karl Pocock, partner and head of tax at Birketts, does not think the government is likely to make this move. He said: “Although there are calls for Rishi Sunak to backdate the reduced stamp duty rates to the start of lockdown, the Chancellor’s goal seems to be to galvanise the housing market now. As such, much as a backdated rate cut would be very welcome news for anyone that had completed on a property purchase prior to the change in stamp duty rates, it is, in our view, unlikely. “The various residential property teams at Birketts have seen a surge in transactions as lockdown restrictions were lifted. Much of this activity was existing transactions restarting. However, we expect that the reduction in stamp duty rates will provide a further, sustained, boost to this part of the economy in the short term.”