Ipswich Summer Indian Mela at Christchurch Park on Sunday
- Credit: Archant
A rich and colourful celebration of South Asian culture will feature at Christchurch Park this Sunday.
The annual Ipswich Summer Indian Mela, put together by The Ipswich and Suffolk Indian Association, will run from noon to 6pm.
The event, which is in its 13th year, attracts around 10,000 people to the park and acts as the grand finale of the Ip-Art Festival.
Highlights this year will include a mix of live performances by local and national artists of music, poetry, Bollywood and Bhangra dancing.
There will also be yoga and Bollywood workshops and a food village selling cuisine from across the Indian subcontinent.
Poli Mohan, chairman of ISIA, said: “Mela literally means a ‘gathering’ or a ‘fair’ for all the community to get together and have some serious fun.”
She added the festival had something to offer people of all ages, including the chance to create your own Rangoli designs with experienced artists.
- 1 Train services in Suffolk cancelled after horses escape onto tracks
- 2 'Quietly confident' - Felixstowe Indian restaurant goes alcohol-free
- 3 Man found dead as police and fire service called to Ipswich home
- 4 Man turned up naked on woman's doorstep after Euros Final
- 5 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 6 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 7 Severe delays on A14 as lane blocked on Orwell Bridge
- 8 Busy Ipswich road reopens after small sinkhole is repaired
- 9 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 10 Why has my car been covered in dust?
A Rangoli pattern is a form of traditional Indian art that is full of symmetrical, bright, colourful and vibrant designs displayed at the entrance of homes in particular to celebrate Diwali and special occasions.
A new feature at this year’s festival will be talent competition ‘Mela’s got Talent’.
Hopefuls are asked to prepare a two or three-minute arrangement of song, dance or music to bring to the event to be in with the chance to perform on stage.
To take part, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org