Ipswich: Suspected drug factory found 200 yards from the police station
IPSWICH: Two men are in custody today after a suspected cannabis factory with an estimated yield worth more than �750,000 was discovered just 200 yards from Ipswich police station.
Officers said around 400 of the Class B drug plants were discovered in a property in Lady Lane, a small cut through in the town centre between Black Horse Lane and Westgate Street,
Qing He, 34, and Min He, 22, appeared before South East Suffolk Magistrates in Ipswich yesterday.
Both were charged with production of cannabis at a block of flats in Lady Lane.
The allegation came after police discovered the cannabis plants at around 1.30pm on Friday.
During yesterday’s court hearing the proceedings were translated for the two Chinese defendants through an interpreter speaking Mandarin.
Prosecutor Lesla Small said the estimated value of the cannabis crop discovered in a flat was �765,000.
- 1 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 2 Suffolk rail services affected after person hit by a train
- 3 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 5 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 6 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 7 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 8 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 9 Man suffers fractured eye socket after attack outside Ipswich bus station
- 10 Designer handbag stolen after car window smashed in Ipswich
At the end of the hearing the men were remanded in custody until their next appearance before the court. This is due to be via a video link on March 19.
A further hearing has been set for April 10, at which the case is expected to be committed to Ipswich Crown Court.
Around 30 minutes before police discovered the cannabis factory three males were arrested in Lady Lane, after reports about a group of men outside a property.
Two of the trio, aged 20 and 24 and both from Ipswich, were detained on suspicion of causing criminal damage. The third man – a 22-year-old from Ipswich – was arrested on suspicion of burglary and criminal damage.
After being interviewed by police they were released on bail until April 16, pending further enquiries.
The police helicopter was also called in during Friday’s incident and a Vauxhall Astra was subsequently found in Poppy Close, Ipswich.
It was taken away on a trailer while police continue their investigation.